1. Today there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2, with a high around 82, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 60, according to the service.
2. Waterford Public Schools has posted its bus routes for the 2012-13 school year on both its website and on Waterford Patch.
To see the bus routes,
3. At their August 13 meeting, discussed its plans to upgrade the town’s animal shelter, including improving the heating system and the electrical system in the shelter.
According to meeting minutes, the group has had discussions with Benevenuti Oil Company and Home Depot, which will repair the existing furnace ductwork at the shelter. Right now, the shelter’s heating system is so poor that the dogs' water bowls freeze in the winter time.
Also, committee member and Waterford Police Lt. Jeff Nixon donated a new electrical circuit panel to the animal shelter, according to meeting minutes. The group has separately raised money to upgrade the existing shelter, while also raising more than $85,000 to build a new shelter.
4. Tonight kids aged 13 to 15, based on their age of May 1, 2012, can register for
Fall Ball runs from early September to late October, and it costs $80 per player to register and then $25 for each additional sibling. All 2012 Little League graduates as well as players who played Babe Ruth this season qualify for Fall Ball.
5. On this date in 1959, President Dwight Eisenhower signed an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state in the nation. And today would have been Wilt Chamberlain’s 76th birthday, if he hadn’t died in 1999.
Quote of the Day
“In the theater the audience wants to be surprised – but by things they expect.”
Trivia of the Day
Who was the only president to earn a Rhodes scholarship to the University of Oxford?
Yesterday’s Answer: Lou Gehrig shares the Major League record with Alex Rodriguez for the most grand slams in a career, with 23.