1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 45, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 30, according to the service.
2. Monday, Fr. Dennis Carey appeared in New London Superior Court again on a charge of first-degree possession of child pornography, and his case was continued again until February 4th.
Carey, the former head pastor of Waterford’s St. Paul's Rectory, was originally arrested in June after police found more than 330 files of child pornography on his computer. Carey, despite admitting to police that he is addicted to child pornography, put in an original plea of not guilty. In several court appearances that have followed, his case was continued each time.
3. Today at 10 a.m. in Waterford Town Hall the Social Service Grants Review Committee will review grant requests from seven organizations looking for taxpayer dollars.
The organizations all serve Waterford residents in some way, with most of them serving low-income Waterford residents. The committee will meet again on Thursday to hear seven more presentations, and then take final action on how much money should be given to each. That budget then needs to be approved by the Board of Selectmen, Board of Finance and Representative Town Meeting.
Today, the committee, which is made up of members of the Board of Finance, RTM and Board of Selectmen, will hear presentations from the Thames River Council for Community Action Inc, Safe Futures Inc, United Community and Family Services, New London County Association for Retarded Citizens, Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars and the New London Homeless Hospital Center.
4. There are three town meetings tonight, all being held in Waterford Town Hall. Tonight at 5, the Board of Selectmen meets, and at 7 the Historic Properties Commission meets and the Shellfish Commission meets.
Also, if you have any community events, please feel free to add them to our events calendar.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2011, Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot outside a grocery store in Arizona. Six other people were killed in the shooting, and another 12 were wounded. And on this date in 2002, President George W. Bush signed the No Child Left Behind act into law.
Quote of the Day
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”
Trivia of the Day
Who led the Free French Forces during World War II?
Yesterday’s Answer: Victor Hugo wrote The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, as well as Les Miserables.