1. Today there is a chance of showers after 5 p.m., with a high around 45, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, showers are likely, with a low around 40, according to the service.
2. A public hearing by the Representative Town Meeting’s legislative and administrative committee on an agreement between Waterford and East Lyme to merge the two town’s dispatch centers originally set for tonight at 6:30 has been postponed, L and A Committee Chairman Craig Merriman said. The new date has not yet been set, but the group will meet before the April RTM meeting, Merriman said.
3. On March 5, tickets will go on sale for WATERFORDrama’s fourth performance this season, Showcase IV.
Showcase is a series of one-act plays directed by students, WATERFORDrama director Shane Valle said. Tickets can be purchased at the main lobby in Waterford High School and are $12 for adults and $7 for students.
4. Today, all of Waterford’s non-essential municipal offices, including Town Hall, reopen. They were all closed Monday for President’s Day. But students still have today off at all Waterford public schools for February break. School will resume Wednesday.
5. On this date in 1965, members of the Nation of Islam assassinate Malcolm X. Malcolm X left the Nation of Islam in 1964. And on this date in 1848, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish The Communist Manifesto.
Quote of the Day
“It is easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.”
Trivia of the Day
What baseball great died in a plane crash in 1972 with exactly 3,000 hits?
Yesterday’s Answer: Swan Lake was composed by Pyotr Tchaikovsky.