1. Today it should be cloudy with a chance of showers and a high near 56, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, showers are likely and thunderstorms are possible, with a low around 55, according to the service.
2. Good news for all you cheesesteak enthusiasts out there. Charley’s Grilled Subs, which specializes in cheesesteaks, opened Friday in the Crystal Mall’s food court, according to the Cystal Mall's Facebook page.
3. A Patch shout out to Diana Wursthorn's and Michele Arico's third-and-fourth-grade classes, who we learned from Waterford-East Lyme Animal Control's Facebook page that they raised $1,700 for Good work!
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
4. Tonight, the Representative Town Meeting This is part of a three-day process where the RTM will finalize the budget for next year. As of now, the proposed $78.8 million budget for next year will increase taxes around 5.4 percent.
These are the budgets the RTM will review tonight: Zoning Board of Appeals, Economic Development Commission, Conservation Commission, Planning and Zoning Commission, Building Department, Building Maintenance, Recreation and Parks Commission, Community Use of Schools, Board of Fire Commissioners, Board of Selectmen, Current Year Capital Improvements and the Transfer to Capital and Nonrecurring Expenditure Fund.
The meeting is in Town Hall and starts at 7:30 p.m.
5. On this date in 1984, the Soviet Union announced it was going to boycott the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. The boycott was partially motivated by the United State’s boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow to protest the Soviet’s invasion of Afghanistan.
Quote of the Day
“The business of America is business.”
Trivia of the Day
What body part did San Francisco 49er Ronnie Lott have amputated so he could continue to play football without missing any time?
Yesterday’s Answer: Boris Yeltsin was the president of Russia before Vladimir Putin.