1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 37, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 25, according to the service.
2. Today, Fr. Dennis Carey, the former head pastor of Waterford’s St. Paul in Chains Rectory, will appear in court again on a charge of first-degree possession of child pornography.
Carey was originally arrested for the crime in June when police found more than 300 files of child pornography on computers he owned inside the Waterford rectory. Carey, despite telling police he was addicted to child pornography, has put in an original plea of not guilty.
He is set to appear in New London Superior Court this morning at 10.
3. It is January, which means that the second installment of property taxes are due. To avoid paying a penalty, all homeowners must pay the second installment of property taxes by the end of the month.
4. Tonight, the Planning and Zoning Commission meets at 7 in Town Hall. According to the agenda, the commission will review a proposal by Robert Nauta to turn 15 Laurel Crest Drive into a five-lot subdivision and the commission will discuss a proposal by the Stonington Institute to get a use variance at 171 Rope Ferry Road.
The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1999, the Senate trial in the impeachment of President Bill Clinton began. Clinton was later acquitted of charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. And on this date in 1980, President Jimmy Carter authorized a $1.5 billion bailout to the Chrysler Corporation.
Quote of the Day
“Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
Trivia of the Day
Who wrote The Hunchback of Notre-Dame?
Friday’s Answer: Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, is located in Dubai.