1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 41, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 28, according to the service.
2. Seconn Fabrications Inc of Waterford recently was one of five businesses in the area that received a total of $600,000 in loans from the state, according to The Day.
The five businesses got the loans from the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development's Small Business Express program to buy new equipment, according to The Day. The share Seconn received from that $600,000 was not released, according to The Day.
Seconn will use the funding to purchase new machining equipment and to add at least two more employees, according to The Day. Seconn does custom manufacturing, powder coating and screen printing.
3. This evening at the Waterford Public Library, author Bob Steele will discuss his novel, “The Big Curse: Big Time Gambling’s Seduction of a Small New England Town.”
The book is about Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods coming to the area and how it changed New London County. The event runs from 6:30 to 7:30 tonight at the Waterford Public Library.
For more information about the book, click here.
4. Tonight, the Planning and Zoning Commission meets at 7 in Town Hall. On the agenda is a proposal by 22 Miner Lane LLC to put 45 condos in at 22 Miner Lane and for Robert Nauta to turn 15 Laurel Crest Drive into a five-lot subdivision.
The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1971, the first commercial nuclear power plant opened in Canada. And on this date in 1919, Oregon put a 1-cent tax on all gallons of gasoline, becoming the first state to tax gasoline.
Quote of the Day
“Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.”
Trivia of the Day
What position did Bob Dole hold longer than anyone else?
Friday’s Answer: Herb Brooks coached the 1980 United States Hockey team.