1. Today should be sunny, with a high around 34, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 22, according to the service.
2. Today is the last day of work for Waterford’s longtime public works director, Ron Cusano.
Cusano has worked for the town for 31 years and has served as director of the public works department for the past 12. Today will be his last day of work, as he is retiring. First Selectman Dan Steward said Public Works Assistant Director Kristin Zawacki will serve as the interim director until the position is filled, and said there is a good chance the job could go to her.
Congratulations Ron, who has always been great to us here at Patch, and enjoy the retirement.
3. Happy New Year's Eve! There is no school today or Tuesday, with school in Waterford resuming on Wednesday.
4. Town Hall and other non-essential government offices are open today, but they will be closed Tuesday for New Year’s Day.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1955, General Motors became the first US corporation to make more than $1 billion in a year. And on this date in 1907, the first New Year’s Eve celebration was held in Longacre Square, which was later renamed Times Square, in New York City.
Quote of the Day
“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing and be nothing.”
Trivia of the Day
Who was the first president of Russia (hint: he resigned on this date in 1999, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as acting president)?
Yesterday’s Answer: Woodrow Wilson was born on Dec. 28, 1856.