1. Today rain is likely, with a high around 55, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight showers are likely as well, with a low around 42, according to the service.
2. This week, Santa runs begin through the Oswegatchie, Goshen and Jordan Fire Companies.
For the runs, Santa comes around in a fire truck in the neighborhoods of the fire company and collects new toys, non-perishable food items and money to pass along to the Waterford Youth Service Bureau. Waterford Youth Services uses the donations for its annual adopt-a-family program, where needy Waterford families are given presents and food for Christmas.
For the full schedule of the Oswegatchie Santa runs, click here. For the full schedule of the Goshen Santa runs, click here. For the full schedule of the Jordan Santa runs, click here.
Also, the Cohanzie Fire Company will be doing Santa runs next week, for that schedule click here.
3. At a Board of Education policy committee meeting last week, the group reviewed and discussed policies on proper use of technology for students and staff. The policies were relatively standard, saying the administration has the right to monitor all activity on district computers and people should use them wisely.
However, Assistant Superintendent Craig Powers said the administration is working on a new policy that would allow students to bring in their own technology from home to use at the school. Board of Education Chairwoman Kathleen McCarty said that would be a much more complex policy, as there has to be a line on how students can use their own technology in the schools. Powers agreed, and said the policy will address those issues.
4. Tonight, the Police Commission meets at 7 in the meeting room of the Waterford Police Department. The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1884, Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was first published. And on this date in 1902, women were given the right to vote in Tasmania – 18 years before women were given that right in the United States.
Quote of the Day
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1906, this sitting president won the Nobel Peace Prize, becoming the first American to win the prize. Who was he?
Friday’s Answer: The two state capitals that contain the entire name of their state in the spellings are Oklahoma City and Indianapolis.