1. Today showers and thunderstorms are likely, with a high near 82, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight thunderstorms and showers are likely, with a low around 69, according to the service.
2. Tonight in Town Hall at 7, officials from Millstone Nuclear Power Station will give a presentation on why they are
The event is put on by the towns of Waterford and East Lyme. Right now Millstone has 19 dry cask storage containers for nuclear waste, and is looking to increase that number to 135 – enough to handle almost all the nuclear waste the site will produce until 2045, when the last license for the nuclear power plant expires.
The plant stores most of its nuclear waste in spent fuel pools, which are basically just deep pools of water. Millstone is running out of room though, and needs to start moving the waste into dry cask storage.
3. Just a heads up for people who didn’t about Glenn Landers, who was seriously injured after a trampoline accident in Waterford.
Landers tried to do a flip on a trampoline, landed on his head and snapped his vertebrate. It is a terrible story, about how life can change in an instant.
Anyway, I’m not running it here because it is a terrible story. There is a golf tournament to benefit Landers this weekend at Cedar Ridge this Saturday. It is $75 for a round of golf and food.
So, might be worth doing for a worthy cause.
4. This will probably just be for the Representative Town Meeting members who went to Monday’s meeting. But at that meeting, RTM member Ted Olynciw referenced two articles written by Waterford Board of Finance member J.W. “Bill” Sheehan in the Patch on the long-range fiscal plan done in 2001.
The plan stated what Waterford should do to save money. Sheehan wrote all the recommendations Waterford has followed in his first piece () and all the recommendations Waterford has not followed in his second piece ().
5. On this date in 1971, President Richard Nixon completed the break from the gold standard, and created a completely fiat currency. And on this date in 1914, the Panama Canal opened.
Quote of the Day
“Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.”
Trivia of the Day
Who was the chairman of the Federal Reserve from 1979 to 1987?
Yesterday’s Answer: The first AFL team to win the Super Bowl was the New York Jets in 1969, led by Joe Namath.