1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 37, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, it could rain after midnight, with a low around 34, according to the service.
2. Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and government offices are closed, including . Additionally, there is no school today at Waterford’s public schools. Tuesday, meanwhile, exams restart for students.
3. Four Waterford residents made the : Richard Adua, Katherine Douglas, James Engel and Erin Rocha. Nice job! If anybody would like to post similar announcements, feel free to do so in our announcement section.
4. Patch had an interesting conversation with geography teacher Mark Higgins Friday after the geography bee. Higgins said Waterford is one of the few places that still has a full year of geography for the students, a huge help for today’s world.
“It’s more important than ever now, with how globalized the world has become,” Higgins said.
5. On this date in 1919, the United States ratifies the 18th amendment, which authorized the prohibition of alcohol. And on this date in 1991, the United States goes to war in Iraq, beginning the Gulf War.
Quote of the Day
“Say it until they think it.
Say it until they know it.
Say it until they believe it.
Say it until they love it.
Say it until it is.”
-Martin Luther King, Jr. (my personal favorite quote)
Trivia of the Day
Where did King give his famous “I Have a Dream” speech?
Friday’s Answer: The First Selectman of Waterford when the opened, as mentioned, was Larry Bettencourt.