1. Today is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high around 70, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 52, according to the service.
2. It's Halloween season and Halloween stores have begun opening up all around town.
For costumes, in Waterford Commons has transformed into Halloween central (they are also hiring). Also, in the , Spirit Halloween shop has opened, right next to Sears.
For pumpkins, there are a few places, including Scotts on Boston Post Road, next to , and the , in Quaker Hill.
3. Another month, another fundraiser by the animal shelter committee and its head of fundraising, Melissa Yuchniuk. On Saturday, Oct. 29, from 12 to 3 is Halloween Spooktacular, at Renegade Sports Center. The event features costume contests for kids up to 5th grade, as well as games, treats and crafts, according to the event’s Facebook page. A $5 donation is suggested and all money will go to building .
4. There is no school today as teachers have a professional development day.
At the Waterford Public Library today, there is Mother Goose story time at 10 a.m., and then two movies. The Conspirator plays at 2 p.m., which is about Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. The second is a travel video about Northern Italy, playing at 7 p.m.
5. On this date in 1492, Christopher Columbus lands in the Bahamas, which he believes is South Asia. And on this date in 1810, the first Oktoberfest is held, to celebrate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
Quote of the Day
“Beauty is short-lived tyranny.”
-George Bernard Shaw
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1979, what science fiction book, authored by Douglas Adams and the first in a series of five, is released?
Yesterday’s Answer: The only bachelor president was James Buchanan.