1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 38, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 24, according to the service.
2. With the snow season here, just a reminder of Waterford’s snowstorm parking ordinance.
The ordinance reads that it is illegal to park on the streets of Waterford when at least three inches of snow has collected on the ground. According to the ordinance, the reason is that parked motor vehicles on the streets of Waterford are a “menace” to traffic during snowstorms.
Police have the right to impound a vehicle found in violation of the ordinance. The owner must also pay a fine of $10. Exemptions to the ordinance are physicians’ vehicles on emergency calls, emergency vehicles, snow removal vehicles and “public service” vehicles, according to the ordinance.
To read the whole ordinance, click here.
3. Ladies and gentleman, it is almost the greatest time of the year.
Starting Saturday, Girl Scouts throughout Connecticut will begin to take orders for Girl Scout cookies. If you don’t know a Girl Scout, click on this website to be connected to a Girl Scout in Waterford, or whatever town you live in.
4. Two new movies open this evening at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2007, Nancy Pelosi was elected the first female Speaker of the House in United States history. And on this date in 1999, former professional wrestler Jesse “The Body” Ventura was sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
Quote of the Day
“Get busy living, or get busy dying.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 2010, Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, opened. Where is the building located?
Yesterday’s Answer: On Jan. 3, 1925, Benito Mussolini announced he was taking dictatorial powers in Italy.