1. Today, there is a chance of rain in the afternoon, with a high around 45, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a chance of rain, with a low around 39, according to the service.
2. Next week, the Waterford Public Works Department will pick up Christmas trees during the normal trash pick-up. Residents should put out their Christmas trees the same day that the town picks up their trash. Christmas trees should not be in plastic and should be out on the curb by 7:30 a.m.
3. We have heard several complaints of people having trouble reading Patch on their mobile devices because of pop-up ads. Our help desk is working on that and we should have it fixed soon.
4. Three new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas.
Gangster Squad, a gangster movie starring Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling, plays at 4, 7 and 10:25. A Haunted House, a comedy starring Marlon Wayans, plays at 4:20, 7:15 and 10:10. And Zero Dark Thirty, a movie about the mission that killed Osama bin Laden, plays at 4, 6:40 and 9:40.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1935, Amelia Earhart became the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California. And on this date in 1922, insulin is first used to treat diabetes in a human patient.
Quote of the Day
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1964, United States Surgeon General Dr. Luther Terry published a report suggesting that this product might be dangerous to people's health. What product was it?
Yesterday’s Answer: Glenn Beck published a book called Common Sense, full title Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, in 2009.