1. Today, showers are expected before noon, with a high near 53, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of showers, with a low around 32, according to the service.
2. Today, the Town of Waterford will begin to pick up piles of brush and bags of leaves alongside the roadway for free.
The brush must be cut in six-foot lengths and all debris should be stacked neatly alongside the curb. The town will only do a one-time pick-up of the debris, street-by-street.
The pick-up is for debris related to Superstorm Sandy only. The pick-up will last until the end of the month.
3. A Patch shout out to Maine Oxy, a welding and gas supply company with a store in Waterford, after its employees donated a total of 36 care packages to active duty American troops in the past 30 days.
Maine Oxy has run this program for the last eight years, after it began with Maine Oxy sending care packages to its own employees who were serving overseas. For more information about the initiative and to hear from soldiers who have benefited from it, click here.
4. Today, Waterford will finally have a full day of school. This is only the second full day of school since October 28th as a week was wiped out because of Superstorm Sandy, then it was Election Day, then three days of early dismissal for parent-teacher conferences and Monday school was closed for Veterans Day.
Also tonight, there is a Board of Education meeting at 7 in Town Hall. At the meeting there will be a presentation by Bill Marin, the executive director of the Waterford Country School, and a report by Superintendent Jerome Belair. As always, there will be time at the beginning of the meeting for public comment.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1947, the Soviet Union completed the development of the AK-47, one of the most popular and easy to use assault rifles in the world. And on this date in 1956, the US Supreme Court ruled that Alabama laws requiring segregation of the buses were unconstitutional, which ended the yearlong Montgomery Bus Boycott. The boycott began when Rosa Parks, a black woman, refused to sit in the back of the bus and was arrested.
Quote of the Day
“You only live once, but if you do right, once is enough.”
Trivia of the Day
Who played the Penguin in the 1992 movie Batman Returns?
Yesterday’s Answer: The supercontinent that allegedly started the earth is called Pangaea.