1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 67, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers after midnight, with a low around 56, according to the service.
2. At the Board of Selectmen meeting Tuesday night, the group rejected two bids for a new fire station rescue pumper for Jordan Fire House after both came in more than $100,000 more than what was budgeted for the truck.
What happened was Jordan Fire House was asking for too expensive of a truck, First Selectman Dan Steward said. Following a recommendation by Fire Director Bruce Miller, the selectmen rejected both bids and asked for Jordan to bid out a cheaper pumper.
The cheapest bid for the pumper Jordan wanted was $589,404, and the town only budgeted $451,329 for it.
3. Tuesday at the School Building Committee, Waterford High School Principal Don Macrino said there would be no kilns in the art rooms as part of the new high school renovation.
Macrino said the art classes would be focusing more on sculpture. There will be pottery as well, but the students will use pottery that will not require a kiln, he said. Additionally, Superintendent Jerome Belair said there would be more use of technology in art classes.
4. Tonight, professionals will discuss and answer questions about the college application process at 6:30 in the Waterford High School library. Students and parents are welcome to the event.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. A day of land expansion for America. On this date in 1898, the United States took possession of Puerto Rico. And on this date in 1867, the United States took possession of Alaska after it purchased it from Russia for $7.2 million.
Quote of the Day
“Change your thoughts and change your world.”
-Norman Vincent Peale
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1851, Moby Dick was first published, although under the headline The Whale. Who wrote it?
Yesterday’s Answer: Robert DeNiro played Al Capone in the 1987 The Untouchables.