1. Today there should be isolated showers between noon and 3 p.m., with gusts of wind reaching 31 mph and a high near 60, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there will be areas of frost after 3 a.m., with a low around 32, according to the service.
2. The East Lyme High School football team has used Waterford’s football field once this season, and will use it again in November, according to Superintendent Jerome Belair.
East Lyme is currently constructing a new turf field, leaving the football team homeless, Belair said. The high school reached out to Waterford and asked if it could play two games on Waterford’s field, and Waterford said yes, Belair said.
Belair said East Lyme will cover all costs associated with having a game at the field.
3. Speaking of football, the Waterford High School football team (2-2) takes on New London (3-1) tonight in Waterford at 6:30.
Waterford lost its first two games on the road, but has since won its last two at home. New London started off strong, crushing Killingly, Montville and East Lyme respectively, but lost last Friday at home to North Haven.
4. Three new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas. Argo, which is about the Iranian hostage crisis, plays at 4:15, 7 and 9:45. Here Comes the Boom, a movie where Kevin James gets into mixed martial arts, plays at 4:25, 7:10 and 9:35. And Sinister, a horror starring Ethan Hawke, plays at 4:45, 7:20 and 9:55.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2000, the USS Cole was attacked in Yemen by suicide bombers, who killed 17 crew members and injured another 39. And on this date in 1823, Charles Macintosh of Scotland sold the first raincoat.
Quote of the Day
“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”
Trivia of the Day
Who did George Bush defeat in the 1988 presidential election?
Yesterday’s Answer: The University of Maryland’s mascot is Testudo, a Diamondback terrapin, which is a type of turtle.