1. What's The Weather? Warmer temperatures (a high
of 49 degrees) and showers on Monday should help melt the snow and
freezing rain from the weekend but the respite will only be brief. Monday night
the temperature could drop to 15 degrees, heralding more frigid weather to
come. By Friday, we could see snow again.
Here's what Weather.com is predicting for the rest of the week:
- Tuesday, January 7: Partly cloudy, windy and cold. High temperature 16 degrees, low temperature 10 degrees, with a 10 percent chance of snow.
- Wednesday, January 8: Mostly sunny, high temperature 26 degrees, overnight low 19 degrees, and a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- Thursday, January 9: Mostly cloudy, high temperature 35 degrees, low temperature 28 degrees, with a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- Friday, January 10: There's a 30 percent chance of precipitation, rain or possibly snow. High temperature 40 degrees, low temperature 32 degrees.
2. News Updates:
- The Francis X Sweeney Field House was officially dedicated with a naming ceremony on Saturday held, rather appropriately, at the halfway point between basketball games pitting Waterford against New London. Generations of Waterford residents turned out to honor the popular coach who had touched so many lives throughout his career in Waterford High School Athletics Department.
- Purse Thefts: People who regularly frequent The Black Sheep and Smarties will be happy to hear that East Lyme Police have been able to identify a suspect wanted in alleged purse thefts that happened in both restaurants last week. Waterford Police helped spread the word, asking for assistance in identifying the suspect on Facebook. Thanks to Facebook tips, East Lyme Police are now applying for an arrest warrant for the individual in question.
3. Municipal Meetings—What's On, What's Canceled? The
Board of Selectmen's meeting originally scheduled for January 7 has been
canceled. The next scheduled meeting of Waterford's Board of Selectmen will be
held Tuesday, January 21, at Town Hall.
The following municipal meetings will be held this week as scheduled:
- Tuesday, January 7: Shellfish Commission meets at Town Hall Auditorium; The Flood and Erosion Commission meets in the Louise T. Appleby Meeting Room.
- Wednesday, January 8: Board of Finance meets in Town Hall Auditorium.
- Thursday, January 9: Zoning Board of Appeals meets in the Louise T. Appleby Meeting Room; Conservation Commission meets in Town Hall Auditorium; The Harbor Commission meets at Waterford Police Department.
4. Items on the agenda for this Wednesday's Board of Finance meeting include
an update on tuition expenditures for Friendship School from Waterford
Superintendent Jerome Belair.
The Board will also consider a request from the Board of Selectmen on behalf of Planning Director Dennis Goderre to appropriate $21,595.55 for building improvements relating to ADA requirements. The Department of Public Works is also requesting an appropriation $678,000 for Willets Avenue Road Reclamation. This project is eligible for a grant from the state but the town must appropriate the money initially.
5. The Gift of Life: The American Red Cross is in need of blood. On Friday, Waterford Town Hall is helping out by hosting a blood drive. Give if you can.