1. What's The Weather? Be careful during Tuesday's morning commute. The National Weather Service has issued a weather statement warning people that as temperatures drop below freezing following Monday's warmer temperatures melting last week's snow, black ice is likely on untreated side roads and sidewalks especially. Here's what Weather.com is predicting for the week.
- Tuesday: Cold but dry. Partly cloudy with a high of 21 degrees and a low of 12 degrees.
- Wednesday: There's a 30 percent chance of snow, with morning snow showers expected. The high temperature won't top 27 degrees, the overnight low, 13 degrees.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny with a high of 30 degrees and an overnight low of 27 degrees.
- Friday: Cloudy but a tad warmer with a high of 37 degrees and a low of 29 degrees. There's just a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- On Tuesday morning, Governor Dannel P. Malloy and Department of Consumer Protection Commissioner William M. Rubenstein will hold a news conference in West Haven to make an announcement regarding medical marijuana.
- On Tuesday evening, President Obama will give his State of the Union Address.
3. What's Happening This Week In Waterford?
- WATERFORDrama's third production of the season is this week and if you like courtroom dramas, you'll love this. There are two shows, Twelve Angry Men, which will be presented Thursday and Saturday, and Twelve Angry Women, performed on Wednesday and Friday. All shows Jan. 29-Feb. 1 start at 7:30 p.m. Tickets purchased in advance are $12, $7 for students, or $15 and $10 at the door. There's also a special rate of $18, ($10 for students), for people who want to see both shows. Call (860) 437-6956 ext. 7407 for information.
- January 29 will be Detective Sergeant Joseph DePasquale's last day on the job at Waterford Police Department. He is retiring to begin a new career with the U.S. Marshall’s service. Thank you for your service and best of luck!
- If you've got a pair of jeans you don't need, there are teens out there that can use them. Stop by Crystal Mall this weekend and make a donation to Jeans for Teens.
- Waterford's Board of Selectmen is holding a series of budget hearings this week. The first is Tuesday at 5 p.m., the second is Thursday at 5 p.m. Both meetings will be at Waterford Town Hall.
- Waterford Board of Education meets at 7 p.m. at Waterford Town Hall on Thursday.
- Senior Citizens Commission meets at the Senior Center at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Recreation and Parks Commission meets at the Community Center at 5:30 p.m.
5. Will Superbowl Sunday become Superbowl Monday? Depending on the weather, the big game could be rescheduled. Currently the forecast for Sunday's NFL title game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., is clear skies but low temperatures (a high of 39 with a low of 27). To date, the coldest temperature for a Superbowl was 39 degrees—and that was in New Orleans!