1. We're in for a partly cloudy day with a 20 percent chance of rain. Weather.com is predicting a high of 77 degrees and an overnight low of 62 degrees.
2. If you're looking for a sign that fall is on the way, here's one: Apple picking opens this weekend at Scott's Yankee Farmer. Hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Turn left at the farm stand, 436 Boston Post Road, East Lyme to get to the orchards.
3. How will healthcare reform affect your business? You can find out today at a forum presented by Access Health CT on what businesses can expect when Connecticut’s Health Insurance Exchange (Access Health CT) starts this fall. The event is sponsored by Eastern Connecticut Chamber of Commerce and will be held at the Hilton Garden Inn at 7:45 a.m.
On Saturday, Access Health's outreach teams will be on beach patrol at Rocky Neck State Park to let people know more about Connecticut's official insurance marketplace. Access Health representatives will be handing out sunscreen and there will be a plane flying overhead with a banner urging people to "Get Covered."
4. Retired state trooper John Patterson will be at Waterford Public Library talking about his new novel Traumatized at 7 p.m. Patterson wrote the novel as a way to try to come to terms with the fact that he fatally shot two men in the line of duty.
5. Most people think punk rock began with the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, but a band called Death, an all black punk rock band born in Detroit, was playing before both those bands. Curious to find out more? Hygienic Art & I Am Fest is screening the Connecticut premiere of 'A Band Called Death' tonight with a special introduction and post-screening Q&A with director Mark Covino. The band Death will be this year's headliner at I Am Fest 7 on September 7 in downtown New London.