A fire at 17 Pine Street was quickly extinguished by Waterford Fire Department on Saturday, which is good news for the new homeowners who happened to be in the middle of remodeling and moving in when the fire started.
Waterford fire department responded to a 911 call for smoke coming from the attic of a home at 17 Pine Street in Waterford at around 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. Luckily the fire was small and was quickly contained, with minimal smoke and water damage.
That's particularly good news for the homeowners, who only recently bought the property and are in the middle of remodeling.
"We're just moving in," said Sheila Antley-Santangelo. "I was in back unpacking furniture."
The wood floors had just been refinished and the home freshly painted in preparation for move-in day on Saturday. Antley-Santangelo said her parents were over to help them move the last of the furniture when an electrician who was doing some much needed rewiring in the attic heard something odd.
At first he thought it might be a squirrel in the roof, Antley-Santangelo said. When he moved aside some of the insulation, he saw the fire.
Antley-Santangelo said her husband Anthony Santangelo called 911 while she grabbed the cat and the dog and everyone got out of the house. Luckily, the couple's three children weren't home at the time.
"We're lucky this was the only thing that happened and we were all working on the house at the time," she said. "I'm so happy it didn't happen in the middle of the night. We're all good."