1. Strong winds blew through last night, pushing away the rain clouds but the winds haven’t abated. Weather.com predicts a windy, partly cloudy day with a high temperature of 45 degrees and a clear, windy night with a low of 24 degrees.
2. Senator and Congressman Joe Courtney will be in Waterford this morning for a scheduled visit to a medical professional building at 196 Parkway South to talk about the importance of workplace safety. Check back with Patch later today for the full story.
3. If you’re in need of a calendar for the New Year, has just the thing. It’s a beautifully photographed calendar of Waterford’s historic barns and out-buildings. The calendar is available for a $10 donation, which helps support the Commission’s mission to preserve and protect Waterford’s historic and culturally important buildings. The calendars are available at the Town Clerk’s office at , where they’ve been selling pretty well so far.
4. Now the holidays are over, chances are your bin is full of bottles that brought good cheer and shipping boxes that arrived containing gifts for family and friends. Luckily, this is a recycling pickup week but though glass and plastic bottles and cardboard boxes belong in the big green cans, wrapping paper doesn’t. Unfortunately, wrapping paper isn’t something that can be recycled at this point.
5. On this date in 1895, the first commercial movie was shown--and it wasn’t in Hollywood. The film was made by Louis and Auguste Lumiere, two French brothers who invented a camera projector. The film featured short scenes of every day French life and was screened for the first time before a paying audience at the Grand Café in Paris.
Quote of the Day
“Don’t be afraid to give up the good and go for the great.”
–John D. Rockefeller (Source: Brainyquote.com)
Trivia of the Day
What company did John D. Rockefeller Jr. establish that would make him a billionaire and become one of the nation's first monopolies?
Yesterday’s answer: Artist Vincent Van Gogh famously cut off his own ear.