1. The Week That Was: The holidays are over, 2012 begins and the news, after taking a break, restarts. The biggest happening of the week, judging from reader comments alone, was First Selectman Dan Steward Readers had a mixed reaction, with some saying it was a great idea, while others arguing a golf course is only for the elite.
Two breaking news stories happened this week, and the second . And in some positive news, , which will bring back some programs cut this school year. The only way that will change is if health insurance costs continue to increase astronomically.
On Jan. 2, we ran a piece about , as well as some locals' . Then later that day, we asked , and got some mixed answers.
In the world of business, Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut President Tony Sheridan , while . And on Tuesday Patch (attempted) , and if the sight of it is something to be proud of or an eye sore.
2. This Week In Weather: This week should be sunny, with the sole exception of Thursday.
Today, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will all be mostly sunny, with highs in the 40s. Thursday, showers are expected, with a high of 50. Friday and Saturday should both be mostly cloudy, with a highs in the low 40s.
*All information used in this report is from The Weather Channel.
3. This Week In Schools: While this is a full, five-day week at Waterford Public Schools, next Monday students have off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Also mid-year exams begin next week at
On Thursday, the Board of Education will meet for the second of two budget workshops as Superintendent Jerome Belair and his administrative team presents the budget. The meeting is at 7 p.m. at and is open to the public, as the board will hear budget presentations for special education, all five schools, buildings and grounds and .
4. This Week In Events: Monday, begins where people are encouraged to donate new or gently used books. The books will be given to local hospitals, shelters and community organizations.
The drive lasts until Jan. 23. People can drop off books at , , , and the .
Also, Friday Kelly Clarkson performs at Foxwoods. We encourage users to add all events to our Patch calendar, from fundraisers to church groups to yard sales.
5. This Week In Government: On Tuesday and Thursday, a committee will meet to vote on social service grants the town generally provides. Social service grants are essentially donations Waterford makes to charitable organizations. In recent years, as budgets have gotten tighter, , as that should be up to the individual taxpayer.
Also, Steward should soon have the town-side budget complete, which he said is likely to be very tight this year.