1. It is expected to rain this morning, but clear up by noon, with a high of 62, according to the National Weather Service. It could rain again tonight, and continue into tomorrow morning, according to the service.
2. Two weeks ago, Patch acquired a list of the employees. To counter balance it, last week Patch acquired a list of the lowest paid general government employees.
Several people on the list complained, rightfully so, so we will not run the names or the titles or the individual salaries of these people (per request). So, instead I’ll give the range of the bottom ten employees: $30,616 to $39,788.
“Some of these people are our best employees,” First Selectman Dan Steward said. “We get as much work out of them as some of our highest paid.”
4. Tonight, at 7 inside Town Hall, Dominion officials will address the public about what they have learned about the recent tragedy in Japan. Also, the company will address a new bill that would increase taxes on the facility by . Needless to say, they are not happy about it.
Just a quick editor’s note on Waterford Patch’s coverage of this new bill. There have been some recent articles by other news sources trying to figure out if Dominion can afford this tax. Since all profits from Millstone are not open to the public, these stories are based on profit numbers created by the state. Needless to say, the state has a pretty large conflict of interest in this situation, considering they are the ones proposing the tax. For this reason alone, I believe the numbers cannot be trusted.
4. At the library today at 6:30 p.m., a local author presents his book. Waterford School Psychologist Kevin McMahon will read his new book, “Manny McMoose and His Chubby Caboose.” The children’s novel stresses the importance of helping each other and friendship.
5. On this date in 1970, Apollo 13 is launched. The spaceship, originally set for the moon, never made it after many systems failed, although amazingly all three astronauts made it home alive. And this date in 1954 was declared the most boring day since 1900, according to the True Knowledge. The company determined it was the most boring because of a complete lack of any notable event; the headline in the papers that day was a general election in Belgium and the birth of a Turkish academic…. Zzzzzzz.
Quote of the Day
“Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.”
Trivia of the Day
What 1st Amendment activist and hero for every journalist started “Hustler” magazine?
Yesterday’s Answer: F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote “The Great Gatsby.”