1. A sunny day today, with a high of 57, according to the National Weather Service. It should be windy though, with gusts hitting 31 mph, according to the service.
2. Wednesday, Patch got in touch with Thomas Simones, the lawyer for Amadeus Harris, who is alleging that Allison Robinson sexually assaulted him a decade ago. Simone had several interesting things to say, most notably that Harris was planning to sue Robinson.
“I’m (suing) for every person who was ever raped, period,” Simones said. “The person who could have helped him most screwed him up for life.”
Simones said he was planning to get inpatient psychological therapy instead of jail time for Harris, who is facing four charges stemming from an incident where he allegedly beat up a woman and threatened her with a shotgun. Harris is suffering severe post-traumatic stress disorder from his relationship with Robinson, Simones said.
Simones was also quick to dismiss Robinson’s claim that Harris raped her, calling it “a load of crap.” Simones said he has two people who will testify that they saw Robinson and Harris having sex.
Simones also said he currently is working for Harris for free. However, if he sues and wins money, he would get paid, “and I would earn every penny,” Simones said.
3. At the Economic Development Commission last night, Chairman Rodney Pinkham said Caruso's Music, currently located in New London, was looking to move into Waterford. One potential spot would be the empty building behind Jiffy Lube on Boston Post Road, although nothing is close to final. Patch will stay on this.
4. Today at 1 p.m. the Community Center and Friendship School will be closed, with no activities allowed in either building. The buildings will close because construction workers need to tap into the water line for the high school renovation.
5. On this date in 1918, German Manfred von Richthofen, a.k.a. “The Red Baron,” is shot down and killed in France. Von Richthofen is credited with shooting down 80 other planes, the most during World War I. While who actually shot down Richthofen’s remains unknown, it is widely believed somebody on the ground hit him in the chest with a bullet. He crashed shortly thereafter.
Quote of the Day
“As a little boy of 11, I entered the Cadet Corps. I was not particularly eager to become a Cadet, but my father wished it. So my wishes were not consulted.”
- Manfred von Richthofen
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1982, which mustachioed Milwaukee Brewer becomes the first pitcher to record 300 saves?
Yesterday’s Answer: On April 20, 2008, Danica Patrick became the first woman to win an Indy car race.