1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 51, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 37, according to the service.
2. Monday night, the Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously approved a proposal by the Quaker Hill Fire Company to install a covered picnic area, shed and retaining wall near the firehouse.
The firehouse is proposing to install a 25’ by 40’ covered picnic area with a cooking area, horse shoe pit and tool shed, according to documents submitted to the town.
3. A Patch shout out to Waterford High School standout swimmer Asia Langley.
Langely won the 50-meter freestyle and the 100-meter freestyle at the Class S state championship this month to help the Waterford High School girls team finish fourth in the meet, according to The Bulletin. Langely posted times of 24.46 seconds in the 50-meter race and 53.98 seconds in the 100-meter race, according to The Bulletin.
4. Today there will be an early dismissal at all Waterford Public Schools for the upcoming holiday. There will be no school Thursday or Friday.
Town Hall is open today, but will be closed Thursday and Friday as well. The Waterford Public Library will be closed Thursday but will reopen Friday.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1877, Thomas Edison announced his invention of the phonograph, a machine that could record and play sound. And today is Goldie Hawn’s 67th birthday (and she still looks fantastic).
Quote of the Day
“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.”
Trivia of the Day
During the 1980's, what woman was nominated for 10 Emmy Awards for her role in the soap opera All My Children but won none?
Yesterday’s Answer: Michelangelo sculpted the statue David.