1. Today there is a chance of showers before noon, but then it should turn partly sunny, with a high near 55, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 30, according to the service.
2. Monday night, the Waterford Representative Town Meeting made two moves to show it is more serious than ever about keeping the town’s finances in check and to send a message to Waterford’s department heads.
First, the RTM approved a budget of $18,434 for itself for the 2013-14 Fiscal Year, the same total the RTM approved for itself for the 2012-13 Fiscal Year. The group approving a flat budget for itself as a sign to show it wants Waterford’s department heads to come in with financially responsible budgets as well, Waterford RTM member Richard Muckle said.
“Hopefully, this sends a message that these budgets will be scrutinized more than any budget has in recent years,” Muckle said.
The RTM also voted to lengthen the time of its budget reviews from three days to four days. The RTM will review all the municipal government’s budgets the first Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of May. Then, they will meet again the following Monday to review the Board of Education’s budget, which represents about two-thirds of the overall total, and make a final action on the overall budget.
RTM members agreed this would give the body more time to review the budgets, particularly the Board of Education’s budget.
3. Also Monday night, the RTM re-elected Republican Tom Dembek to serve as the body’s moderator. Dembek took over the position last year from Democrat Sharon Palmer after the Republicans took control of the RTM following the 2011 municipal elections.
Dembek was unanimously approved for another year-long term as moderator.
4. Today at 5:30, there will be an informational meeting in the career center of Waterford High School for students interested in going to China during Spring Break 2013 for an education tour.
The trip will last 12 days and students will visit Weihai, Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai and see the Great Wall of China and the Terra Cotta soldiers. Parents are welcome to come to the meeting as well.
For more information, contact Ms. Chen or Dr. Hunt at 860-437-6956.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 771, Charlemagne became the sole King of the Franks after his brother died. And on this date in 1492, Christopher Columbus became the first European to set foot on the island of Hispaniola, which now holds Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
Quote of the Day
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1831, this man took his seat in the House of Representatives, two years after his presidency ended. Who was he?
Yesterday’s Answer: Marisa Tomei turned 48 on Monday.