1. There is a chance of showers and thunderstorms today, with a high around 88, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 61, according to the service.
2. A Waterford woman and East Lyme man were arrested this weekend for allegedly burglarizing Scotti’s Farm Stand of East Lyme, and then starting a fire at the stand,
Cassia Elizabeth Morris, 22, of 62 Vivian Street and Peter Zalamania, 23, of Niantic, were hit with charges stemming from a fire at Scotti’s Farm Stand in East Lyme. The fire began at 2:16 a.m. on July 20th, and while it was quickly extinguished by the Niantic Fire Department the East Lyme Fire Marshall ruled the blaze suspicious.
Investigators believe the fire started when a light bulb was covered with a cloth during an attempt to rob the stand, which caused the canopy to catch fire. Tje East Lyme Police Department began investigating the matter and by that afternoon had Morris and Zalamania in custody.
Morris was charged with third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny. Bond was set at $1,000.
3. Speaking of scary situations , at around 10 Saturday night – right after the Celebrate East Lyme fireworks – the U.S. Coast Guard Long Island Sound group issued a “be on the lookout” alert for a “runaway vessel in the area of the .”
The Coast Guard had been asked to initiate a search after a boater called 911 and emergency dispatch was unable to reach the man on his cell phone when the 911 operator called him back.
The search ended within an hour when an East Lyme patrol officer found the boat at Three Belles Marina in Smith Cove. According to East Lyme Police, the operator of the boat had suffered a head injury after running over a buoy. The injured man has not yet been named by police.
"The boat hit a navigation aid in Niantic and the operator had a laceration on his forehead," said Cyndy Chanaca spokeperson for Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), which is responsible for investigating water accidents.
"He powered his boat into shore and his passenger called 911. He was taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries," she said. "The accident is an ongoing investigation by Connecticut DEEP Environmental Conservation Police."
4. Matt Harvey of Groton will make his first Major League start for the New York Mets Thursday against the Arizona Diamondbacks in Arizona, according to espn.com.
Harvey was drafted seventh overall in the 2010 MLB Amateur draft and has been a top prospect in the Mets’ system ever since. Before being drafted, he was a standout starter for the University of North Carolina and before that, Fitch High School.
Harvey, 23, is 6’4” and weighs 224 lbs. In his two seasons in the minors, Harvey is 20-10 with a 3.48 ERA and struck out 268 batters in 245 2/3 innings.
Harvey comes in to a Mets starting staff riddled with injuries. Starters Mike Pelfrey and Dillon Gee will both miss the rest of the season and pitcher Johan Santana was recently placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2005, Lance Armstrong won his seventh consecutive Tour de France. And on this date in 2002, Democrat James Traficant is expelled from the United States House of Representatives following a 420 to 1 vote. Traficant of Ohio was expelled following convictions for taking bribes, cheating his taxes and racketeering.
Quote of the Day
“Sanity is madness put to good use.”
Trivia of the Day
Michigan touches all the Great Lakes except for one. Which one?
Yesterday's Answer: David Cameron is the prime minister of the United Kingdom.