1. Today should be cloudy, with a high around 40, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 26, according to the service.
2. This upcoming Wednesday night, Waterford’s administration will bring forward a finalist for the job of Waterford High School principal to the Board of Education to interview and potentially hire, Superintendent Jerome Belair said this week.
Current Waterford High School Principal Don Macrino is retiring at the end of the year and the search committee charged with finding a new principal has made its selection, Belair said. It will be up to the Board of Education to finalize that pick at their regular meeting Wednesday night.
3. Speaking of Belair, on Wednesday night, at the Board of Finance meeting, the superintendent said the school district is currently undergoing a complete “security audit” of all five Waterford schools with the police department in response to the Sandy Hook tragedy.
Belair said the police department and the schools are working together to figure out the best safety plan possible, to avoid a shooting like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School where 26 people were murdered. He said that might mean additional costs.
“We know we may have additional needs,” Belair said.
4. Two new movies open at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas this evening.
The Croods (PG), an animated movie about a prehistoric family, plays this evening at 4:10, 4:30, 6:50, 7:15 and 9:50 and plays in 3D at 5:20, 7:45 and 10:10. And Olympus Has Fallen (R), an action about terrorists attacking the White House, plays this evening at 3:45, 7, 7:25 and 9:45.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1972, the United States Congress sent the Equal Rights Amendment to the states for ratification. It was never ratified. Also on this date in 1972, the Eisenstadt v. Baird decision by the United States Supreme Court allowed unmarried people the right to contraceptives.
Quote of the Day
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Trivia of the Day
Explorer Ponce de Leon was searching for what when he discovered Florida?
Yesterday’s Answer: Bill Belichick graduated from Wesleyan University in Middletown.