1. Today, showers are expected, with a high around 53, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, the showers are expected to continue until 9, with a low around 37, according to the service.
2. Waterford’s John Johnson has been named one of Connecticut’s top dentists by Connecticut Magazine, according to an announcement posted on this website.
Johnson lives in Waterford but practices at Contemporary Dentistry in Groton. It is the third consecutive year he has been named one of Connecticut’s top dentists by Connecticut Magazine.
“Because it’s a vote of my peers, I am humbled by the recognition,” Johnson said in a news release. “Every half-hour I see a different patient. I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping people restore their bite so they can enjoy their meals again.”
3. Waterford Police Detective Sgt. Joe Depasquale has been given a certificate of recognition by the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, David B. Fein.
Depasquale was given the award for his work solving a case where a man would crawl on the floor of movie theaters while movies were playing and steal credit cards and other items from women’s handbags. The case was fascinating, to read the whole story, click here.
4. The Easter Bunny is now at the Crystal Mall, and will stay until Saturday, March 30th. The bunny will be at the mall during the mall’s regular hours. For more information, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2009, Bernard Madoff pled guilty to operating a Ponzi scheme that scammed investors out of $18 billion, the largest Wall Street scam in history. And on this date in 2011, Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant – following a complete melt down - released radioactivity into the air.
Quote of the Day
“It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour workweek, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.”
Trivia of the Day
What real estate mogul and owner of a Major League baseball team was one of the many victims of the Bernie Madoff scam?
Yesterday’s Answer: The United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, India, Pakistan and North Korea all have nuclear weapons. Israel is believed to have nuclear weapons but has yet to come out and announce it. South Africa produced six nuclear weapons in the 1980s but later disassembled them. Additionally, the US has given nuclear weapons to Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey.