1. A slight chance of showers is expected today, with a slight chance of thunderstorms after 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. It should be mostly cloudy, with a high of 77, according to the service.
2. public hearing finally concluded Thursday night, after three meetings and more than 10 hours of testimony. The zoning board of appeals now has 60 days to make its decision.
At the public hearing Thursday, both sides had two lawyers, as well as numerous experts to testify for each side. Overall, both sides submitted more than 90 exhibits.
3. Speaking of controversial zoning proposals, Patch caught up with surveyor William Kent recently. Kent represents Robert Nauta, who submitted an application for a 22-lot subdivision at . He later withdrew the application.
Kent said they would probably resubmit the application in a year. The economy isn’t good, so hopefully it will improve in a year, Kent said.
4. Two movies open at Regal Cinemas. The first is "Super 8," a science fiction thriller, which plays at 4:30, 7:10 and 9:50. And "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer," a comedy for kids, plays at 4:10, 7:20 and 9:30.
5. On this date in 1935, Alcoholics Anonymous is founded by Dr. Robert Smith and Bill Walsh in Akron, Ohio. And on this date in 1944, 15-year-old Joe Nuxhall of the Cincinnati Reds becomes the youngest person to ever play in the major leagues. Nuxhall, along with many others, was allowed into the majors after many players and potential players were off fighting World War II. The most famous example was outfielder Pete Gray, who played for the St. Louis Browns despite having only one arm. Gray managed to hit .218 in his short career, with 13 RBI.
Quote of the Day
“Smart women love smart men more than smart men love smart women.”
Trivia of the Day
What is the Guinness World Record for most days without sleep?
Yesterday’s Answer: New Milford is the biggest town in Connecticut by land area, with a land area of over 63 square miles.