1. Today, there is a chance of light snow, with a high around 33, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a chance of light snow, with a low around 21, according to the service.
2. Many of you read the story we posted Sunday about how a little girl's doll was (accidentally?) stolen.
Well, a happy update, to some degree. The girl's mom, Rachel O'Brien, posted this on Waterford Patch Monday:
"I want to say how incredibly touched I am. I came home this evening with my daughter and in our front driveway was a beautiful Valentine's bag and inside was a Lala Loopsies doll for Mikayla sent from "someone who cares"! Whoever sent this to her please know how much this means to her and me. First, she has been asking for this doll since the holidays (mom forgot to put it on the list so she never got one). Needless to say she it thrilled beyond words. Second, I have really been down about the whole ordeal. There is nothing worse than looking into the eyes of a beautiful little girl and see nothing but sadness and confusion. Trying to explain the happening to her has been hard. Any way, THANK YOU your kindess as brought tears to my eyes and has made my heart a little lighter. You have reminded me that there are beautiful people out there. You have also taught this very important lesson to a 4 year old better than I could have ever done on my own. The fact that someone took her dollies may stay with her for a while but now it will be followed by...but a beautiful friend bought me a new dollie. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."
3. Tonight is the last chance to register a child or children for Waterford Little League South for the 2013 season. There will be a registration event tonight at the Waterford Community Center from 4:30 to 7:30.
If you have any questions regarding the registration call Sheri Smith at 860-625-5850.
4. A few community events are happening tonight.
First off, the Connecticut Humane Society is hosting an open house to recruit new volunteers at 5 at the Waterford Public Library. If you are interested in volunteering at the shelter, here is your chance. For more information, click here.
There is also a free “new parent course” at the Waterford Babies R Us. To find out how to reserve a spot in the class and for more information, click here.
And finally, the Waterford Shellfish Commission meets tonight at 7 in Town Hall. The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1972, Bob Douglas became the first black man elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. And keeping with the sports-related theme, today is Hank Aaron’s 79th birthday.
Quote of the Day
“To the victor belongs the spoils.”
-William L. Marcy
Trivia of the Day
Can you name three countries that begin with the letter J?
Friday’s Answer: On Feb. 4, 1969, Yasser Arafat took over as chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization.