1. Today should be partly sunny, with a high around 42, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight rain is expected, with a low around 36, according to the service.
2. A press release from the Crescent Beach BNI:
On Thursday, Feb. 21, Crescent Beach Business Network International (BNI) sponsored a networking event at Main Street Grille in Niantic. Over 150 people attended and enjoyed drinks and hors d'oeuvres while meeting other local business professionals. With donations and raffle items, the group raised $3,200 to benefit the family of Kyle Seidel, a Waterford man tragically killed on Dec. 21.
The Crescent Beach chapter meets every Tuesday at Main Street Grille, 252 Main Street in Niantic at 7:15 p.m. Visitors are always welcome and encouraged and should bring business cards to share.
3. Last week, the Waterford Police Department promoted Waterford Police Officer Marc Balestracci to the rank of sergeant.
Balestracci, along with being a police officer, is a member of the Representative Town Meeting. In a posting on its Facebook page, the Waterford Police Department congratulated Balestracci and said it was happy to have several qualified officers to choose from.
4. There are two town meetings tonight, both of which will be held in the Waterford Community Center.
The Senior Services Commission meets at 4 today and the Recreation and Parks Commission meets at 5. Both meetings are open to the public.
Also, there is a free new parent course at Babies R Us today in Waterford. For more information or to sign up for future classes, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1919, President Woodrow Wilson signed an act of Congress that established the Grand Canyon as national park. And on this date in 1993, a truck bomb blew up at the North Tower of the World Trade Center and killed six people.
Quote of the Day
“All great achievements require time.”
Trivia of the Day
What country is the world’s largest producer of bicycles?
Yesterday’s Answer: Bob Dole was the longest-serving Senate Republican leader in history.