1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 21, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 6, according to the service.
2. Tonight, the Board of Education will meet in Town Hall at 6 in executive session to discuss school security for an hour. Then, the Board of Education will open up the meeting to the public at 7 and, among other items, take final action on a $44.87 million budget proposal by Superintendent Jerome Belair.
The board is allowed to meet in executive session for security matters under Connecticut’s Freedom of Information Act. That means that public and the press are closed off to that part of the meeting. No actions can be taken in executive session.
3. This week, Connecticut’s General Assembly’s Executive and Legislative Nominations Committee unanimously approved the appointment of Waterford’s Sharon Palmer as the commissioner of the Department of Labor, according to The Bulletin.
Palmer’s appointment still needs to be approved by the full General Assembly, according to The Bulletin. Palmer has already been serving in the job since October.
Palmer is a retired Clark Lane Middle School teacher who served on Waterford’s Representative Town Meeting until she was appointed by Gov. Dannel Malloy as the commissioner of the Department of Labor in August. Palmer had been the president of the Connecticut chapter of the American Federation of Teachers since 2003.
4. This evening at 5 in Town Hall, the Board of Selectmen continues its budget reviews. This evening, the board will review the budgets of the tax collector, the tax assessor, the board of assessment appeals, the board of selectmen, the human resources department, the finance department, the legal department and the fire department.
The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2003, the US Department of Homeland Security officially began operations. And on this date in 1984, the first Apple Macintosh went on sale.
Quote of the Day
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.”
Trivia of the Day
What man is famous for the lead role in a sitcom that ran from 1987 to 1997 where he played a shoe salesman and then for a role in another sitcom that premiered in 2009?
Yesterday’s Answer: The inaugural class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 was Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.