1. Today there is a 20 percent chance of snow before 11 a.m., with a high near 32, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 20, according to the service.
2. The Connecticut Department of Transportation will now run Southeast Area Transit, which serves as Waterford's public transportation provider, according to The Day.
In November, Waterford's Board of Selectmen signed a resolution asking for the DOT to take over the bus company. First Selectman Dan Steward said Wednesday he was happy the DOT did take over SEAT, saying he hopes it will now be run more efficiently.
Waterford will pay SEAT $45,681 next year for services. Waterford is one of nine towns served by SEAT.
3. Tonight at 6 the Crescent Beach chapter of Business Network International (BNI) is hosting a charity and networking event in Niantic to benefit the family of Kyle Seidel.
Seidel, 34, was murdered in December in Waterford, leaving behind his wife and three young children. The event runs from 6 to 8 tonight at Main Street Grill in Niantic and costs $5 to attend.
There will be a cash bar and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. The BNI is a business and professional organization whose primary purpose is to exchange qualified business referrals, so bring business cards.
4. Two other events of note are happening today.
Today from 4:30 to 7:30 Waterford Little League South is holding a registration event at the Waterford Community Center. This is the last chance for parents to register their children for Waterford Little League South’s upcoming 2013 season.
And tonight at 5:30 at the Garde Arts Center, the Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut is holding a young professionals open house. For more information, click here.
If you have a community event that you would like to get some publicity for, feel free to add it to our community calendar.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1965, members of the Nation of Islam assassinated Malcolm X in New York City. He was 39. And on this date in 1925, The New Yorker published its first issue.
Quote of the Day
“The seed of revolution is repression.”
Trivia of the Day
Mount Everest is located on the border of what two countries?
Yesterday’s Answer: Michael Jordan recently turned 50.