1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 43, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 31, according to the service.
2. After five years of waiting, the Waterford Recreation and Parks Commission – on advice from the town attorney - agreed to give up chasing after a $3,400 unpaid bill from the Connecticut Aquatics Club.
Recreation and Parks Program Coordinator Kerry Sullivan said the group did not pay for 34 hours of rented pool time back in 2007, and the town attorney deemed it would be more expensive to go to court to collect the money than the actual expense itself. Sullivan said this non-payment – the only default she has dealt with in her time as program coordinator – has changed the way she’s collected fees. Now, she demands the full fee upfront before renting space to an organization.
The Recreation and Parks Commission also agreed to not let the Connecticut Aquatics Club use the pool ever again.
3. I wanted to feature three great aspects of this website that are severly underutilized.
First off, there is a commute section. The best part about the commute section? It has a program that tells you where you can find the cheapest gas in Waterford.
There also is a page dedicated solely to grocery specials in the area. Here, you can search and find the best deals from all the stores in the area or you can just compile a list of all the items in one store. It is incredibly helpful.
And finally, because I know there are a lot of people looking for work, there is a jobs section on our site. We partnered with indeed.com and have a fully searchable place to search for all the jobs in the area. All three of these features are located under the headline “More Stuff” in the blue tab across the top of the site.
4. Today is the last day of a three-day fundraiser at Chili's by the WARTERFORDrama program.
Today, if you eat at Chili’s in New London from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., bring the flyer attached to this page and 10 percent of the sale will be donated to the WATERFORDrama scholarship fund. The Chili’s is located at 369 North Frontage Road in New London.
Also this evening, the Historical Mural Committee meets at 4:30 in the Community Center, the Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 6:30 in Town Hall and the Nuclear Energy Advisory Council meets at 7 in Town Hall as well.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1897, London became the first city to host licensed taxicabs. And on this date in 1865, the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, which banned slavery.
Quote of the Day
“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1877, this newspaper, which would later employ Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, published its first edition. What newspaper is it?
Yesterday’s Answer: John Quincy Adams became a member of the House of Representatives in 1831, two years after his presidency ended.