1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 45, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should become increasingly more cloudy, with a low around 24, according to the service.
2. Monday was the original deadline for the Waterford School District to file all Waterford is part of a coalition of districts that is suing the state over its funding of education, and have been subpoenaed by the state as part of the suit.
The school districts have protested the subpoena, arguing the amount of information required would take more than 1,000 hours to complete. Waterford Superintendent Jerome Belair joined the charged, saying he believed the subpoena was overly burdensome on purpose to encourage districts to drop the suit.
The coalition's lawyers have fought the subpoena, and will now face the state in court on Wednesday, Waterford Assistant Superintendent Craig Powers said. The coalition is arguing for the scope of the subpoena to be narrowed, and for a longer time to complete all the work, Powers said.
Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen, in a letter to the schools in the coalition, said the subpoena is not punitive, but instead necessary to fight the case. The coalition of districts is looking for more than $2 billion in extra state funding for education, and to make that argument a large scope of evidence is required, Jepsen wrote. Still, there are some areas where perhaps the subpoena could be narrowed, and some information could be ascertained from the State Department of Education instead, he wrote.
4. There are four town meetings tonight. The Senior Citizens Commission meets at 4 at the , the Recreation and Parks Commission meets at 5 at the same place, the Board of Selectmen meet at 5 in and at 7, the Democratic Town Committee meets in
4. The is playing the movie Margin Call starring Kevin Spacey at 2 p.m. today. The movie is Rated R.
5. On this date in 1991, the first Gulf War ends. And on this date in 1940, basketball is televised for the first time. The broadcast was of two college teams, the University of Pittsburg and Fordham University, playing in Madison Square Garden.
Quote of the Day
“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Trivia of the Day
What is Waterford's second-largest taxpayer?
Yesterday’s Answer: Katie Perry has blue hair, at least as of her last photo shoot for the magazines that decorate the Stop & Shop checkout line.