1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 85, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 70, according to the service.
2. Tonight and Saturday is the 84th annual Firemen’s Fair at . The event runs from 5:30 to 10:30 both days and features fire truck rides, games of chance, plenty of food including homemade clam chowder and white elephant tables. Saturday from 5:30 to 7 is the famed ham and beans dinner.
3. On the other side of town, the is looking to install a covered picnic area, shed and retaining wall near the firehouse.
The firehouse is proposing to install a 25’ by 40’ covered picnic area with a cooking area, horse shoe pit and tool shed, according to the Conservation Commission’s July 26th meeting minutes. The Conservation Commission still needs to approve the application.
4. Two new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, a great kids and pre-teen movie, plays at 4:55, 7:15 and 9:40; and Total Recall, featuring this character, plays at 4:25, 7:05, 7:35, 9:45 and 10:20.
5. On this date in 2005, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad became the President of Iran, and now is considered one of the biggest threats to the American Empire. And on this date in 1852 is the first boat race between Yale and Harvard in the first intercollegiate athletic event.
Quote of the Day
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”
Trivia of the Day
You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?
Yesterday's Answer: The Gulf of Tonkin Incident began on Aug. 2, 1964, which thrust the United States into the Vietnam War.