1. Today isolated showers and thunderstorms are expected after 1 p.m., with a high near 83, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 67, according to the service.
2. Tuesday night, voted to more than double the size of the sidewalk to the new high school's cafeteria and auditorium – either creating a patio for students, or cutting a courtyard in half, depending on how you want to look at it – to address egress concerns.
Basically, the town had to have a sidewalk large enough to handle people coming out of the auditorium or cafeteria. So the group voted to widen the sidewalk that comes from the front of the building to the entrance of the existing auditorium and what will be the new cafeteria.
In laymans terms, the group added a lot of concrete to what was originally expected to be a courtyard. However, the building committee agreed this might be a good thing, as the concrete could serve as a patio where kids could eat their lunch outside. Superintendent Jerome Belair said he would look into putting some picnic tables out on the new concrete.
3. Well, tax time has cometh and goneth, and now the taxman cometh with a vengeance. All July taxes, if not paid, are officially late, and the town will begin to start charging interest. Since the tax bills are actually due July 1, with the month of a July a grace period, the late tax bills will already have one month of interest added to them.
4. Tonight, the Zoning Board of Appeal meets at 6:30 in Town Hall. On the agenda is a request from Dayton Real Estate LLC for variances to the zoning regulations to allow for a religious institution at 114 Dayton Road.
5. On this date in 1934, Adolf Hitler became the Fuhrer of Germany. And on this date in 1937, the United States passed a law making marijuana illegal.
Quote of the Day
“Take it from me, Mr. T - the best place to look for treasure is inside yourself. That’s where the real gold is hidden.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1964, there was allegedly an attack by the North Vietnamese on United States’ warships that thrust the US into the Vietnam War. What was the name of this “incident”?
Yesterday’s Answer: The first music video broadcasted by MTV was “Video Killed The Radio Star” by The Buggles.