1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 46, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 34, according to the service.
2. Waterford Public School’s business manager is leaving to take the job he used to have before he was hired at Waterford.
Ron Melnik, who was hired from District 13 in the summer of 2011 to become Waterford’s business manager, will return to his business manager post at District 13 on December 10, according to the November 14 minutes of District 13’s Board of Education meeting. District 13 covers the towns of Durham and Middlefield.
Melnik was the business manager for District 13 since 2007, before leaving in 2011 to take the same job in Waterford. Melnik took over for Michael DeRay in Waterford, who retired in July 2011 after holding the job for nine years.
3. A Patch shout out to Dominion Resources – owners of Millstone Power Station – for filling a massive turkey gap at a New London County food center.
A few days before Thanksgiving, the Gemma E. Moran United Way Labor Food Center was “dangerously short” of not having the 2,310 turkeys it needed to serve needy New London County families. Dominion wrote an $8,000 check at the last second to fill the gap and all the families got turkeys.
“Dominion stepped in just in the nick of time,” said Virginia L. Mason, President & CEO of United Way of Southeastern Connecticut, in a press release. “At the end of last week, we were scrambling to figure out how we could help put a nutritious holiday meal on the table for everyone. But now, thanks to the generosity of the community and our friends at Dominion Resources, we can meet our goal and fill all of the requests. We are so fortunate to have a great community partner like Dominion.”
For more information, click here.
4. After a break for Thanksgiving, school is back in session at all Waterford schools today. There are no town meetings tonight.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1842, the University of Notre Dame was founded. And on this date in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed that day as national Thanksgiving Day, and said Thanksgiving would be celebrated annually on the final Thursday of November (which changed in 1941 to the fourth Thursday in the month).
Quote of the Day
“If you’re bored with life – if you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things – you don’t have enough goals.”
Trivia of the Day
What college did all-time great NFL quarterback Joe Montana attend?
Friday’s Answer: Lowell Weicker proceeded John Rowland as governor of Connecticut.