1. Today should be mostly cloudy, with a high around 35, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of rain and snow, with a low around 34, according to the service.
2. Thursday night, at their budget hearings, the Board of Selectmen unanimously approved a $2.72 million budget for Waterford's fire services for the 2013-14 fiscal year.
The selectmen trimmed approximately $20,000 from the department's original proposal, but the sum is still $106,886 more than this year’s $2.6 million total, or a 4 percent increase. The budget still needs to be approved by the Board of Finance and the Representative Town Meeting.
Also Thursday, the board approved a $1.32 million budget for the Recreation and Parks Commission for the 2013-14 fiscal year, or a $14,674 increase from this year’s $1.3 million total. The board rejected the commission’s original proposal last week, but the commission cut the proposal by roughly $4,500 and it was approved this time around.
3. Tonight, the Planning and Zoning Commission is meeting at 7 in Town Hall.
At the meeting, the commission will make its recommendation on if the Zoning Board of Appeals should allow a zone change at 171 Rope Ferry Road to allow the Stonington Institute to put a rehab facility there that will hold up to 144 men recovering from substance abuse.
The commission will make its formal recommendation tonight, although the Zoning Board of Appeals will make its own decision on the matter. The Zoning Board of Appeals next meets on February 7th.
4. This morning at the Waterford Community Center, there is a strength class at 8 and 8:30, casual bridge at 9, hearty moves at 10 and duplicate bridge at 10:30. There are activities at the community center every day, to see the full calendar, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1958, the Lego Company patented the design of its Lego bricks, which are still compatible with today’s versions. And on this date in 1934, the first ski tow began operation in Vermont.
Quote of the Day
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Trivia of the Day
What professional wrestler began his career with 173 consecutive victories before being defeated by Kevin Nash?
Yesterday’s Answer: Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the first practical telephone.