1. Today, there is a chance of showers, with a high around 49, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 33, according to the service.
2. Just an interesting piece of information that was discussed during the Board of Education’s budget workshop Thursday night.
The school buses in the Waterford School District gain an average of 6.5 miles per gallon. The amazing part? That’s actually really good. Before, the buses would only get about 5 to 5.5 miles per gallon, which is pretty standard, but the school district got all new school buses this school year. The school buses run on diesel fuel.
3. Also, a piece of information that came out of the workshop as well. Phillip Russell has been hired by the school district as the interim school business manager until the administration can find a permanent person. Russell, who was retired, had previously served as the Waterford school business manager in the early 1980s.
Russell is filling in after Ron Melnik left the post to take a similar position in the Durham school district. The administration has posted the job of school business manager and is going through the hiring process.
4. There are two town meetings tonight in Waterford Town Hall. The first is a meeting by the Ad Hoc Animal Control Facility Study Committee, or the group dedicated to building a new animal shelter, at 5:45. At 7:30, the Waterford Democratic Town Committee meets, a meeting that is only open to registered Waterford democrats.
The Police Commission meeting set for tonight has been cancelled.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt became the first president to travel by airplane while in office when he flew from Miami to Morocco. And on this date in 1539, Spain annexed Cuba.
Quote of the Day
“Big results require big ambitions.”
Trivia of the Day
Who is the only republican to serve two full terms as governor of Florida?
Friday’s Answer: United States Surgeon General Dr. Luther Terry published a report in 1964 that first said cigarettes are bad for one's health.