1. Merry Christmas Eve! Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 37, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 25, according to the service.
2. At the Board of Education meeting last week, Superintendent Jerome Belair laid out his plan to replace Waterford High School Principal Don Marcino, who is retiring at the end of the year.
Belair said the position has been posted and he is in the process of creating a search committee, which will include parents, teachers, administrators, students and board members. Along with that, he will begin to garner feedback from what the community wants in its next high school principal.
In February, Belair said he plans on doing interviews, and in March do site visits to standout candidates to the schools they work in. He hopes to have somebody hired by the end of March, who will begin in May. Marcino will work until June, so Belair’s hope is to have the two men working together for a month to ease the new principal into the job.
Additionally, the board has posted the position of school business manager, after former School Business Manager Ron Melnik left at the beginning of the month.
3. Also at the board meeting, the group unanimously voted to have Kathleen McCarty serve as the chairwoman of the Board of Education for 2013. McCarty, a Republican, became chairwoman after former chairman Don Blevins was defeated in the 2011 municipal elections.
4. Update: Town Hall is not closed today. It is open.
There is no school today in Waterford, and there won’t be until Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1955, NORAD tracked Santa for the first time, which has since become a Christmas Eve tradition. And on this date in 1818, “Silent Night” was performed for the first time in a church in Austria.
Quote of the Day
“Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn’t come from a store.”
Trivia of the Day
An easy one for Christmas Eve. On this date in 1943, during the height of World War II, what general became the Supreme Allied Commander?
Friday’s Answer: The seven dwarfs from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy and Sneezy.