1. Happy Columbus Day! Today should be clear, with a high around 60, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, it should remain clear, with a low around 40, according to the service.
2. Roberts Audio Video, a store that has spent the last 78 years in New London, is moving to Waterford come November 1, according to The Day.
The store sells big-screen TVs, sophisticated audio equipment and does custom in-home installations, according to The Day. The store is relocating to 737 Hartford Turnpike in Waterford, which is near the Crystal Mall, according to The Day.
3. As mentioned, today is Columbus Day, and everything is closed. There is no school today and all non-essential government offices are closed, like Waterford Town Hall.
4. I have a confession to make. Right now, I, Paul Petrone, am in the sunny state of Florida, basking in the sun and enjoying a family reunion. Do not panic though, I will be back on Wednesday.
In the interim, if you have any concerns, questions or want to meet a reporter at 3 a.m. because you have information that will forever change the way we look at Waterford, e-mail my boss, Corey Fyke, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2001, President George Bush announced the establishment of the United States Office of Homeland Security.
And on this date in 1956, New York Yankees pitcher Don Larsen became the first, and so far only, man to throw a perfect game in the World Series.
Quote of the Day
“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
Trivia of the Day
Who was the first host of the game show Family Feud?
Friday’s Answer: The first James Bond movie, which was released in 1962, was Dr. No.