1. Today should be mostly cloudy, with a high of 62, according to the National Weather Service. And tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low of 48, according to the service.
2. Answering a question from a reader, has closed for the winter.
but business was too slow to justify keeping it open during the cold months, according to a sign on the front door of the restaurant by owners Vasili and Lisa Therecka.
“We have made the very difficult decision to close for the winter due to very slow business,” the sign read. “It is not feasible for us to stay open. Thank you for understanding, we greatly appreciate all of our customers who have supported us since the beginning.”
3. There are 2012 calendars available at the depicting Waterford’s historic barns and outbuildings. There is a $10 suggested donation for the calendar, which goes to the Historic Properties Commission, Town Clerk Robert Nye said.
There are barns and outbuildings from all around Waterford, including ones on Douglas Lane, Norwich Road and Miner Lane.
4. The Board of Education meets tonight at 7:30. This will be the last meeting with members Donald Blevins and Jessica McLaughlin, Republicans David Campo and David Kenney will take their place. The newly elected members of all boards will be sworn in on Nov. 22, according to Nye.
5. On this date in 1943, German SS leader Heinrich Himmler orders that Gypsies receive the same treatment as Jews, and be put into concentration camps. And today would have been Randy “Macho Man” Savage’s 59th birthday, if he hadn’t died from a heart attack while driving a car earlier this year.
Quote of the Day
“Expect the unexpected in the kingdom of madness.”
-Randy “Macho Man” Savage
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1791, what Catholic College became the first such college to open in the United States?
Yesterday’s Answer: The only team Vince Lombardi lost to in a championship game was the Philadelphia Eagles in 1960.