1. Today should be sunny, with a high around 43, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 26, according to the service.
2. After consulting with the Town Attorney, the Waterford Recreation and Parks Commission agreed to raise the admission fees for out-of-towners to Waterford Beach Park, but not by as much.
In December, the commission agreed to raise the admission fees for Waterford Beach, particularly to out-of-town residents. According to the minutes of their March 26th meeting, they’ve rethought their vote and lowered the increases.
Originally, at their December meeting, the group voted to increase yearlong admission fees for out-of-towners to the beach from $80 to $120. However, at their March meeting, the group decided to drop that to $100 for an out-of-town resident, after consulting with the Town Attorney.
3. Today, a pet supply drive put on by three Girl Scouts to benefit the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelters continues at the Waterford Public Library.
The drive started Monday and will last until Sunday. Waterford Girl Scouts Kaitlyn Dow, Kayla Mathiowetz and Isabel Umland are asking residents to bring leashes, bowls, dog toys, cat toys, clumping cat litter, large collars, large choke chains, harnesses, litter boxes and old towels to the Waterford Public Library.
The supplies will be donated to the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter. There is a donation box for the drive at the main entrance of the library.
For more information, click here.
4. This evening at 6:30 at the Waterford Public Library, a local poet will describe his recent visit to India and Nepal to learn about Buddhasim.
Glenn Shea, a poet and world traveler, will give a presentation tonight about his experience overseas. First, he will give a talk with pictures about his travels and then he’ll open it up for questions and answers.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1992, New York Mafia boss John Gotti was convicted of murder and racketeering and was later sentenced to life in prison. And on this date in 1972, actor Charlie Chaplin returned to the United States for the first time since being labeled a communist in the early 1950s.
Quote of the Day
“Do not let what you can not do; interfere with what you can do.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1917, what United States President asked Congress to declare war on Germany?
Yesterday’s Answer: The United States Air Force Academy is located in El Paso County, Colorado.