1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 55, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 38, according to the service.
2. Happy Black Friday! Today, all non-essential government offices are closed, including Waterford Town Hall. There is also no school today in Waterford. However, the Waterford Public Library will be open today.
3. In case you missed it, the Kelsey Harrington Foundation posted a thank-you to the Waterford community Thursday. This year the foundation, through donations from the Waterford community, provided 40 scholarships for local high school seniors as well as tuition for 90 special needs children to Camp Harkness.
To read the thank you, click here. And thank you everybody who donated to the local foundation, which helps special needs children.
4. To post announcements such as the on the Kelsey Harringtoun Foundation posted, click here and hit the button on the right that says, “add an announcement.” We want to make this site as all-encompassing as possible and we appreciate all the people who post announcements on Waterford Patch.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1889, the first jukebox went into operation at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco. And on this date in 1876, corrupt Tammany Hall leader William Magear Tweed, aka Boss Tweed, was delivered to authorities after being captured in Spain. Tweed was convicted of stealing between $25 million and $45 million from New York City taxpayers during the 1880s.
Quote of the Day
“If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.”
Trivia of the Day
Who proceeded John Rowland as governor of Connecticut?
Yesterday’s Answer: Margaret Thatcher was the longest serving Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the 20th century.