1. Today should be partly sunny, with a high around 40, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a 20 percent chance of snow after 1 a.m., with a low around 33, according to the service.
2. Thursday, a Patch user emailed me, Waterford Patch Editor Paul Petrone, a very well-written, detailed “letter to the editor.” In my opinion, many Patch users would have found it interesting, but yet it was emailed to me as a “letter to the editor,” the same way someone would send it in to a newspaper.
To me, that email means I’ve failed, because I haven't spent enough time talking about what this site is about.
Waterford Patch's greatest aspect is that I, Paul Petrone, am not the sole determiner of what news is on this site and what news isn’t. Am I’m glad about that, because I always found that aspect of traditional newspapers paradoxical. Sites like this one are supposed to promote free speech, not restrict it.
To sign up for a blog, click here. Or email me at email@example.com or call me at (860) 287-5265 for help. Our job here at Patch is not just to tell you the news, but to be a community forum that allows the expression of all ideas. Never again do you have to send in a letter to the editor, hoping it will be printed; instead you can just post it for our audience.
3. Tonight is Clark Lane Middle School’s annual Basket Bonanza, featuring more than 200 baskets.
The event is a fundraiser for the Clark Lane Middle School PTO. Local businesses and residents donate gift baskets, and then people buy tickets and put them in the baskets they want to win. At the end, there is a raffle, and the winner of each basket is announced.
There will be refreshments for purchase at the event. At last year's bonanza, Clark Lane Middle School Principal Jim Sachs took a pie to the face (watch the video here).
The event runs from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Clark Lane Middle School. For more information, click here.
4. Three new movies open today at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas.
The Call, a movie where Halle Berry plays a 911 dispatcher, plays at 5:25, 7:10 and 7:40. And The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, a comedy where Steve Carell and Jim Carey play magicians, plays at 5:20, 7:45 and 10:10.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. Beware the Ides of March. On this date in 44 BC, several Roman senators stabbed Roman Dictator Julius Caesar to death. And on this date in 1906, Rolls-Royce Limited was incorporated.
Quote of the Day
“A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1990, what man was elected the first President of the Soviet Union?
Yesterday’s Answer: Scott Adams is the author of the comic strip Dilbert.