1. Today should be sunny, with a high around 39, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 29, according to the service.
2. On Feb. 22, 1983, Tom Wagner started working for the Town of Waterford. And today, Feb. 22, 2013, will be Wagner’s last day working for the Town of Waterford.
Wagner is Waterford’s Planning Director, meaning he is charged with running all aspects of the town’s planning department, along with a multitude of other tasks. In his 30 years with the town, Wagner has overseen Waterford change from a quiet, bedroom community to one of the most developed communities in southeastern Connecticut, including projects like the Crystal Mall, the Waterford Commons and the Lawrence + Memorial cancer clinic, which is currently under construction.
For a full story on his career, click here. The town is now actively searching for a new planning director.
3. Tonight in Waterford, there is a Zumbathon to benefit the Sandy Hook Memorial Scholarship Fund, thanks to the work of two Clark Lane Middle School students.
The event runs from 7 to 9 tonight at Clark Lane Middle School. The event is being organized by Clark Lane Middle School students Sydney Tabor and Jayne Darrars.
The Zumbathon will benefit the Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund at UConn. The girls are encouraging all participants to wear green shirts.
For more information, click here.
4. Two new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas. Dark Skies, a suspense, plays at 4:15, 7:20 and 9:40. And Snitch, an action starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, plays at 4:35, 7:10 and 9:45.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1980, the United States Olympic Hockey Team defeated the Soviet Union team 4-3 in the Winter Olympics, in a game later called “The Miracle on Ice.” And on this date in 1889, President Grover Cleveland signed a bill admitting North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington as US states.
Quote of the Day
“Do you believe in miracles?! YES!”
Trivia of the Day
Who coached the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team?
Yesterday’s Answer: Mount Everest is located on the border of Tibet and Nepal.