1. Today there is a chance of showers, with a high around 70, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is also a chance of showers, with a low around 51, according to the service.
2. Today, Fr. Dennis Carey, who was formerly the head pastor of Waterford’s St. Paul in Chains Rectory, will again appear in court on a charge of first-degree child pornography.
Police stormed the rectory back in June and found more than 300 files of child pornography on Carey’s computers. Carey has since appeared in court and said he was looking for help for his addiction to child pornography, and his lawyer said this is an issue Carey has been dealing with for a long time.
Patch will have an update Carey’s court appearance today, which should take place sometime in the 10 a.m. hour. In other words, there is a good chance of a Patch breaking news alert today.
3. A release from Waterford Public Schools posted on Patch:
Waterford Public Schools is offering an Early Childhood Screening on November 27, 2012 to all three and four year old children who reside in Waterford. A team of specially trained staff members will be conducting Early Childhood Screening sessions at all three elementary schools.
The purpose of the Early Childhood Screening is to assess the development of each child in the areas that are vital to the learning process, such as language, gross and fine motor, and social skills. Children will participate in a variety of planned activities. The session will also provide an opportunity to answer parents’ questions about their child’s performance and development.
Each screening session will last approximately one hour. Parents are encouraged to call the elementary school that their child would attend to make an appointment or to receive additional information. If you are unsure of the elementary school your child would attend, please click here for a list of elementary schools by street.
Great Neck Elementary School: 860-442-2593
Oswegatchie Elementary School: 860-442-4331
Quaker Hill Elementary School: 860-442-1095
Additional early childhood screenings will be offered in January 2013 and April 2013.
4. There are two meetings of note tonight in Waterford. The Ad Hoc Animal Shelter Facility Study Committee, the group dedicated to building a new animal shelter, meets at 5:30 and the Planning and Zoning Commission meets at 7. Both meetings are in Waterford Town Hall.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1990, Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to draw down the Cold War and open up his nation. And on this date in 1951, the first episode of I Love Lucy premiered on CBS.
Quote of the Day
“Lucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do!”
Trivia of the Day
What is the New York Municipal Airport now called?
Monday’s Answer: George Bush defeated Michael Dukakis in the 1988 presidential election.