1. Today should be partly sunny, with a high near 61, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 48, according to the service.
2. A new store is opening soon at the Crystal Mall, according to a sign within the mall.
Kitchen Collection, a store that sells kitchen appliances and other kitchen-related items, is set to open where the Toy Vault used to be, on the ground floor just past the food court. The Toy Vault has since moved upstairs into a smaller store.
To see what Kitchen Collection sells, check out their website here.
3. The BestWay Gas Station at 76 Boston Post Road has finally reopened.
The gas station burnt down in June of 2011 and has been closed ever since. After months and months of construction, the gas station and convenience store has finally reopened.
4. Another day, another fundraiser from our friends dedicated to building a new Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter.
This time, the group is selling blue tee-shirts saying “I Am A FOREVER Dog.” The shirt’s theme is that people should only adopt dogs if they are truly prepared to have them forever.
The shirts are $25 each, with the proceeds going to the Waterford Animal Shelter. Stop by the shelter, which is located behind the police station at 41 Avery Lane, to pick one up.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1940, Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. became the first black general in the United States Army. And on this date in 1938, the Archbishop of Dubuque, Francis Beckman, denounced swing music, saying it is “a degenerated musical system... turned loose to gnaw away at the moral fiber of young people", and warned it leads down a "path to hell.”
I guess East Lyme was listening.
Quote of the Day
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
Trivia of the Day
What professional sports team plays its home games at Soldier Field?
Yesterday’s Answer: Herman Cain proposed a 9-9-9 tax plan.